Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It is a Space....

but it's not the space I was in before. It's a fort i've just made in the corner!

"One can undoubtably become aware of existing by escaping from space....
The novelist should have given us details of the inversion that lead from home to universe, in quest
of being."

JE SUIS L'ESPACE OU JE SUIS
(I AM THE SPACE WHERE I AM)

I am really enjoying reading about the poetics of space, i'm finding the references it has towards
the spaces we inhabit really relevent to the work i'm doing at the moment. He is constantly referring to space, the universe, daydreaming and these are all things I love and find fascinating.
It's comforting to have what would often seem really obvious explained in a poetic way.

The house is a space for your imagination to run free because it is your space that is hidden away from the rest of the universe, a place to be yourself and daydream. It's such an obvious thing but
I needed to be pointed out to me before I even realised it. The fort is an imaginative space that you create. It's the same room you were in before but its a new space that you just created using your imagination. Inside this space is freedom to be inspired by your own thoughts. Freedom to invent, to create and to daydream.

When you are a child you build forts out of whatever you happen to have lying around: old paint sheets, rocks, the washing line, card board etc. Inside this fort you’ve created is your world, its your own imaginative bubble that you’ve just created from the junk that was lying around. To you it’s not junk its your FORT! It is your barrier from the outside world and the place for your imagination to run wild. As a child I remember hiding in my fort for hours and hours and taking all my favourite toys in there with me, ready to camp out for days. I’m hiding from my parents and also from reality. I could stay here for days making up stories and adventures.I've found a perfect space to Daydream.

This is a transfer of these ideas into the gallery space and into adulthood. Our instruments are our toys and our forts are our still active imaginations. Imagination is such an important aspect of art. The niches that an art school puts you into can often restrict ideas and imagination. Beats and Forts is a chance to be as imaginative, inventive and creative as you wish with the childhood playfulness in mind. It’s a chance to break down the conventional barriers and build new ones in the form of your fort. It is important to consider the relationship that the body will have with the structure as you will have to be inside the fort to play music from it. Just like when you are a child your fort will be a place to be imaginative visually and aurally through the construction of the fort and through the music you will play once you’re in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment