Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Berlin - The Unruly Teenager
















































































Some photos from my trips! I havm't updated my blog in so long because I've been away. Many photos have been captured, a thousand thoughts have been made. It was excellenty to get away and clear my mind! I got so much inspiration from the people I met, the art that I experienced and the cities aI lived in. Here are some little clips of my travels from Berlin- The Unruly Teenager. When you think about it, Berlin is a city in it's early 20's, before the wall came down the city was such a different place. I am in LOVE with his city because of its vibrant energy. It's such a great place for artists to be and there are already so many artists there already! This is very apparent everywhere you look. Cluture and creatiovity is dripping from every pore and growing from every crack! I few things I found fascinating in Berlin was how much people recycled- you are charged for a bottle in a shop then you get money back when you recycle it- around 10c a bottle. Homeless people were making a living from this even going so far as to decorate shopping trolleys and call themselves "the Bottle King". People were also really celebrating the spring and the sumemr. They were planting and growing wherever possible, out of tin cans, every window ledge had some veg growing! I loved it. The flat I was staying in was a whole building full of working artsits and on the ground floor was a gallery space. The current exhbition was a thesis show, I actually met some friends for teh AKI in Holland while I wa sthere. This guy, Quint was building a wooden house outside of the gallery that he live din for 3 weeks. This was part of his conceptual work- he also builty ise botas that he would take to hot places like Venice. He make sthem every 3 years and the next one he is making will be taken to The Burning Man festival in the Nevada Desert. His house was made out of recyled wood-he just went to a factory and asked if they had any spare wood and they then delivered it to the site. He was even getting wifi from the gallery - Quint claims not to have payed rent for 3 years. The hut could also be flat packed and placed into the back of a car. Another thing that I found very charming about the art work I seen on my travels was that a lot of the materials were recycled or found. In this day and age this is an important aspect to consdier. I found a lot of inspiration from various video installations I seen- got me thinking about ways to present video. I went to an exhbition in the Guggenheim called "Six Narratives in Contemporary Video". Very weird and very wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment