Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sabrina Ratte

I've been checking out some work by Sabrina Ratte. Her blog is called Diamond Variations and she has some pretty interesting influences from early video art and computer graphics/programming. She also makes her own videos. Like so...



Really drawn to the colours here and the abstraction of reality.

Here is past of an interview conducted by Rhizome.org

Describe your experience with the tools you use. How did you start using them?

I began to be more serious about video editing around 19 years old, when I started university. I was editing with Final Cut Pro, which I still use today. A couple years ago, I started to use Modul8 for live video projections as well as for visual experiments. I also use a VCR, a television, a small digital camera and a big VHS camera. I like to experiment with the limitations of the tools I use. I also like to be surprised by unexpected results, so I try to provoke accidents by mixing different techniques together.

Where did you go to school? What did you study?

I did a BFA Specialization in Film Production in 2005 at Concordia University, in Montreal. I am now about to complete a MFA in Studio Art / Film Production at the same university.

What traditional media do you use, if any? Do you think your work with traditional media relates to your work with technology?

I use traditional media only occasionally. Although, I did work with super8 and 16mm film and I had the chance to edit my films on a Steenbeck back in university. I also did photography and developped film in a black room. These experiences made me realize how much digital softwares like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro are based on traditional medias. It is the same thing with analog video synthesizers. All those mediums have inspired the interfaces, filters and tools included in Softwares like FCP.

http://rhizome.org/editorial/2011/dec/1/artist-profile-sabrina-ratte/

and another beautiful video to watch!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. soooo good! have you been on her blog Diamond Variations? It's cool too. Thought you'd like this stufF! x

      Delete