Friday, March 16, 2012

Bending Aluminum



I made some aluminum frames/models to assist the glass bending process however bending soda glass is quite a challenge. Most of the glass bends I made cracked when they were cooling. I might have to reconsider my approach. I have 10 bits of glass left and I have wasted 5 already! Although If I managed to get two bends without the glass cracking so maybe I can cut the glass and it would still work. However, the glass is not flat so I don't know if the company who would fill it with neon will take it like that. So many variables to consider.

3 comments:

  1. How many bends have you done altogether? Use one used piece and bend it in lots of places as a test of the process first. What do you think made the difference with the ones that didn't crack? What colour is the glass when you're bending it? Are you spinning it to ensure both sides are equally heated? Are you bending it toward you or away from you? Have you looked up any demos on YouTube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim

    I have done 10 bends all together now, only 3 of which haven't cracked! I still have 10 bits of glass left. The reason they are cracking is because I can't regulate the temperature enough. The glass needs to be heated really slowly, spinning it like you said- that part is fairly easy but when I leave it to cool at the side (even wrapped in a blanket) a few minutes later I hear a crack and the glass has split because it also needs to be cooled really slowly. Phil has suggested making a sort of incubator for the glass to cool slowly in using like a fire blanket with a hot water bottle and a blanket! So currently trying to track down either a fire blanket or an insulated picnic bag. I have looked at plenty of videos on youtube - they make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhat unrelated to the technical: http://www.lamaisonrouge.org/spip.php?rubrique24&date=cours

    ReplyDelete